We are passionate about reading at Kells Lane Primary School. We want every child to enjoy reading, to consider themselves a reader and to imagine themselves as authors of the future.
At Kells Lane Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning focused on letter sounds and phonics and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Please use the videos below if you would like further information about how you can support your child at home or follow the link to the RWI YouTube channel for parents and carers https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe74j1F52zSCiOMSn3zQDSzgu9TrbQ1c&pbjreload=102
Phonics Screening Check Information
As a school we have adopted ‘Book Talk’ by Jane Considine. It is a systematic way to teach reading strategies across the whole school. It is underpinned by certain guiding principles:
- All children in the classroom will be accessing narrative, non-fiction or poetry at the same time.
- Children will receive 30 minute ‘Book Talk’ sessions and once a week will intensively work with the class teacher on reading strategies and comprehension skills.
- Each Book Talk session is layered with open-ended whole class questions to tackle the three layers of the reading rainbow.
- Book Talk is structured with three reasons to read. The reasons to read are taken from ‘The Reading Rainbow’. One reason is taken from the top layer of the rainbow under FANTASTIC. The second reason is taken from the STYLISTIC layer. The third reason is taken from the ANALYTICS layer. These are introduced to the pupils in chunks and it is through these generic lenses they think and discuss their reading material.
- Informal Book Talk encourages children to share their own reading for pleasure in our wonderful library, class or outdoor reading areas.
Reading Progression across our school
Don’t know what to read? Then use this website to help you choose your next book. Happy Reading!! https://www.booksfortopics.com/
Our school library & classroom libraries
Ran by a group of keen Y6 librarians, we are very proud of our school library. It has a huge range of books and is used and loved by everyone in our school. Here is our timetable for when to return your library book:
Mon- Elm, Y2 & Y3
Tues- Larch & Y1
Fri- Nursery, Reception, Y5 & Y4
In each classroom, we also have mini libraries linked to our year group ‘Must Reads’. To keep our classroom libraries well stocked with high quality, diverse books, we have set up year group wish lists. If you would like to support us with replenishing our books, as well as celebrating your child’s birthday in school, we have a new initiative set-up called Birthday Books! Buying a book from the wish list will be delivered directly to our school, then we will add a personalised bookplate inside for your child which will be presented to them in an assembly. The book will then live in your child’s class mini-library to be shared and enjoyed by everyone! We hope you will join in and help us spread the love of books!
Thank you, from the Y6 librarians.
Nursery Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3C41HLCEUS96I?ref_=wl_share
EY Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/NM3CHZQFDIUA?ref_=wl_share
Year 1 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/17H534TMR8CCB?ref_=wl_share
Year 2 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/11B9IT87T386N?ref_=wl_share
Year 3 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3OR18IB059J87?ref_=wl_share
Year 4 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/155NK279YB17I?ref_=wl_share
Year 5 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/1VELUYS4RYFRG?ref_=wl_share
Year 6 Must Reads Wish List https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/2P0DVLY7QWOK9?ref_=wl_share