We are passionate about reading at Kells Lane Primary School. We want every child to enjoy reading, to consider themselves a reader and to imagine themselves as authors of the future.
At Kells Lane Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning focused on letter sounds and phonics and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Please use the videos below if you would like further information about how you can support your child at home or follow the link to the RWI YouTube channel for parents and carers https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe74j1F52zSCiOMSn3zQDSzgu9TrbQ1c&pbjreload=102
Phonics Screening Check Information
Don’t know what to read? Then use this website to help you choose your next book. Happy Reading!! https://www.booksfortopics.com/