I would like to start this week’s bulletin by thanking you for such a tremendous response to the questionnaire about homework. There’s still time for anyone who hasn’t had a chance to complete it yet; a copy of the questionnaire is available below for your convenience.
You should have received a copy of our annual planner this week. I hope you find it a useful tool, particularly for planning a convenient time for parent consultations. You will see from the planner that children in Year 1 and Year 2 will not be acting as the choir for the Early Years Nativity this year. I have taken this decision, in consultation with members of staff who deliver the event, after much consideration for the following reasons:
- Recent curriculum changes have rightly insisted that children are challenged to be the best they can be. Whilst we embrace this increase in curriculum content, we have also remodelled our curriculum to allow children quality learning time in all subject areas, including the more creative subjects like art, design technology and music. Clearly, in order to deliver the curriculum your child deserves, every session in the school day is precious.
- I am reliably informed that it can take up to 10 hours of rehearsal time to coordinate a performance involving 180 children; undoubtedly, this restricts our ability to deliver the curriculum as explained above.
- Christmas is a very exciting time for many children and some do find changes to routine on a daily basis hard to manage.
- Children in Year 1 and Year 2 do still have the opportunity to perform to parents in Harvest celebration events and at our end of year production.
I appreciate that this may be disappointing for some parents but I ask for your understanding and assure you that I have not taken this decision lightly.
In the year ahead, my priority will continue to be providing the best education for your child through high quality teaching and a balanced and stimulating curriculum.
Have a lovely weekend.
Mrs A Whistler
Dates for your diary for this half term:
|Wednesday 28th September
· Year 3 Roman Day in school
|Thursday 29th September
· Year 3 visit to Segedunum
|Monday 3rd October
· Book fair in school this week
|Tuesday 11th October
· ‘Traditional Tales’ by Chris Connaughton in Year 1
|Wednesday 12th October – Friday 14th October
· Y4 residential trip to Dukeshouse Wood
Kells Lane School Fundraising Group AGM in the KS2 hall – starts at 7pm
|Monday 17th October
· Meeting for anyone interested in being a parent helper in school – starts 2.45pm
|Tuesday 18th October
· Early Years Harvest Assembly – parents welcome to attend – starts at 2.45pm
|Wednesday 19th October
· Year 1 Harvest Assembly – parents welcome to attend – starts at 2.30pm
PLEASE NOTE ONLY YEAR 1 PUPILS WILL TAKE PART IN THIS ASSEMBLY
|Thursday 20th October
· Year 2 Harvest Assembly – parents welcome to attend – starts at 2.30pm
PLEASE NOTE ONLY YEAR 2 PUPILS WILL TAKE PART IN THIS ASSEMBLY
|Monday 24th October – Friday 28th October (inclusive)
· Half term holiday